"A city set on a hill cannot be hid"

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Getting to know you




Today we learned about our first patients which we'll be officially seeing next week. They're can't talk with their mouths and they spend a lot of time laying flat on their backs, but we're really thankful for the opportunity to see them. In short, they're cadavers. At the mention of standing in a room full of 31 dead bodies, my stomach began to quiver. But then again, it is a really awesome opportunity -- some schools don't even have dissection anymore. We also got a preview of our first course--Gross Anatomy, imaging, and embryology. According to the course director, "there's a horrific amount to learn" which I believe. Though an impossible task for one person, I guess it's necessary one and I know we'll make it through step by step. Just gotta hang on tight. We got our scrubadubs because as one staff member said, "you'll want to burn whatever came in here [gross anatomy lab] when you're done." And now I really have a skeleton in my closet--actually my partner's locker (we got bone boxes and lockers today).

In other news, I finished this really interesting book called "Dominion" by Randy Alcorn. I convinced myself I needed to finish it because I was spending a lot of time with it and need to do away with the distraction. Actually, it dealt really well with the issues of racism, gangs, the Christian response to these, black history, and some interesting ideas about heaven along with a great mystery plot. It is long (603pgs) but worth it. Maybe I'll bring up some topics later to discuss.

Well, I'm hoping to go backpacking this weekend. The last really free one because real classes start next week with prep stuff this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home